For more than 35 years, the boxer engine in the BMW Motorrad GS and RT models has stood for distinctive, powerful and reliable propulsion when it comes to setting off on an extended tour or a long-distance journey – or simply enjoying the satisfying pleasure of a short weekend trip. For more than 25 years, BMW Motorrad has used 4-valve technology in this connection, combined with electronic fuel injection and closed-loop catalytic converter technology in order to achieve the best possible power and torque delivery, efficiency and environmental compatibility.
Further advanced boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for an additional increase in power across the entire engine speed range, reduced emission and fuel consumption levels, optimized running smoothness and refinement.
With the extensively further advanced boxer engine, the new R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT not only achieve a whole new level of power and torque. It was also possible to significantly optimize refinement and running smoothness – especially within the lower engine speed range. What is more, the new engine offers improved emission and fuel consumption levels as well as a particularly satisfying sound. For this purpose, BMW ShiftCam Technology has been used for the first time in the serial production of BMW Motorrad engines: this enables variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side. In addition, the intake camshafts are designed for asynchronous opening of the two intake valves, resulting in enhanced swirl of the fresh, incoming mixture and therefore more effective combustion.
Other technical changes to the engine relate to the camshaft drive – now taken care of by a toothed chain (previously a roller chain) – an optimized oil supply, twin-jet injection valves and a new exhaust system.
Two riding modes, ASC and Hill Start Control as standard. There are two riding modes available as standard in order to be able to adapt the motorcycle to individual rider preferences. The standard Automatic Stability Control ASC ensures a high level of riding safety due to the best possible traction. The set-off assistant Hill Start Control is likewise a standard feature in both models, enabling convenient set-off on slopes.
“Riding Modes Pro” is now available as an optional equipment item, featuring the additional riding mode “Dynamic”, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, and in the RT 1250 GS also the riding modes “Dynamic Pro”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro”. DTC enables even more efficient and safe acceleration, especially in banking position. ABS Pro (part of Riding Modes Pro in the R 1250 GS, a standard feature in the R 1250 RT) offers even greater safety when braking, even in banking position. The new Dynamic Brake Control DBC provides additional safety when braking, also in difficult situations, by avoiding unintentional accelerator activation. By means of intervention in the engine control, drive torque is reduced during braking so as to make full use of the braking power at the rear wheel. This keeps the motorcycle stable and shortens the braking distance.
With the optional equipment item BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA “Next Generation”, damping automatically adapts to the situation according to riding state and manuvers, and there is also automatic compensation in all load states. This allows finely tuned adaptation of the motorcycle to riding states, achieving optimum damping comfort and a very stable ride response – this is now also available for the R 1250 RT.
The new R 1250 GS now features the LED headlamp as standard. In addition to this, the LED daytime riding light is available as an optional equipment item for the R 1250 GS and also the R 1250 RT, which has halogen headlamps.
The new R 1250 GS now has the equipment feature Connectivity as standard including a 6.5-inch full-color TFT screen. In conjunction with the standard BMW Motorrad Multi-Controller, this means the rider can access vehicle and connectivity functions particularly swiftly and conveniently. The R 1250 RT is fitted with a large 5.7-inch TFT color screen. This is supplemented with an analog speedometer and rev counter.
Ensuring the fastest possible assistance in the event of an accident or in situations of emergency and danger can save people’s lives. The optional equipment item Intelligent Emergency Call summons assistance to the scene as quickly as possible. As before, this feature can be ordered for both models.
BMW Motorrad Spezial is range of iconic customization features that enhance both performance and value, available as optional equipment items ex works. The focus is on harmonious integration in the vehicle as a whole, use of the very highest-quality materials, elaborate manual workmanship and characteristic attention to detail.
The milled parts packages Option 719 Classic and HP are available for the new R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT, for example. The new R 1250 RT can be additionally enhanced with Option 719 Wheels Classic or Sport, an exclusive seat and one of two Spezial paint finishes. An HP sports silencer is likewise available ex works for the two new boxer models.
The new R 1250 GS showcases its travel and off-road prowess in two modern basic finishes and two striking style variants. The new R 1250 RT embodies its exclusive touring character in one basic color, two style variants and two Option 719 Spezial finishes.
An overview of the highlights of the new BMW R 1250 GS:
- Further developed boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side.
- Even more power across the entire engine speed range, optimized fuel consumption and emission levels, increased running smoothness and refinement.
- Increased output and torque: 100 kW (136 hp) at 7 750 rpm and 143 Nm at 6 250 rpm (previously: 92 kW (125 hp) at 7 750 rpm and 125 Nm at 6 500 rpm.
- Capacity increased to 1 254 cc (previously: 1 170 cc).
- Asynchronous valve opening on the intake side for optimized swirl and therefore more effective combustion.
- Camshaft drive now via toothed chain (previously roller chain).
- Optimized oil supply and piston base cooling.
- Knock sensor system for optimized travel suitability.
- Latest generation of BMS-O engine control and use of twin-jet injection valves for even more effective carburetion.
- New exhaust system for optimum performance characteristics.
- New additional front spoiler on the R 1250 RT.
- Two riding modes, ASC and Hill Start Control as standard.
- Riding Modes Pro, featuring additional riding modes, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, ABS Pro (standard in the R 1250 RT), Hill Start Control Pro and Dynamic Brake Assistant DBC, available as an optional equipment item ex works.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” with fully automatic load compensation.
- In addition to standard adjustability of seat height (exception: HP style for the R 1250 GS), wide range of seat height variants ex works.
- LED headlamp for the R 1250 GS as standard and LED daytime riding light for both models as an ex works optional equipment item.
- Connectivity: multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-color TFT screen and numerous features as standard in the R 1250 GS.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option.
- BMW Motorrad Spezial – customization features as optional equipment items ex works.
- Extended range of optional equipment items and BMW Motorrad Accessories.
- The new R 1250 GS: travel and off-road prowess in two modern basic finishes and two striking style variants.
- The new R 1250 RT: exclusive touring character in one basic color, two style variants and Option 719 Spezial finishes.