R nineT /5: Exclusive model to mark the 50th anniversary of the Slash 5 series and 50 years of BMW Motorrad production in Berlin Spandau.
Classic, authentic, original – and air-cooled. This is what the BMW R nineT models stand for. The new R nineT /5 provides another addition to the successful BMW Motorrad Heritage world of experience, this time with special historical roots: the model marks the 50th anniversary of the legendary Slash 5 series and at the same time the start of BMW Motorrad production at the BMW plant in Berlin Spandau 50 years ago.
A look back to the past with the future in mind: the Slash 5 series as a historical archetype
BMW automobile production increased enormously in the 1960s, so the decision was taken to build BMW motorcycles in Berlin. Operations got underway in 1969 with some 400 staff and a new series: the Slash 5 models R 50/5, R 60/5 and R 75/5. With a completely newly developed chassis and engine along with a fresh, modern design, BMW made a lasting impact on the expanding motorcycle market of the time. The Slash 5 models saw instant success, thrilling customers with a combination of riding dynamics on country roads and travel comfort.
The new BMW motorcycles perfectly matched an age defined by upheaval, rock music and a powerful sense of freedom. As a reflection of this, a wide range of bold, bright body colors was available for the new Slash 5 models.
The BMW Motorrad anniversary model R nineT /5 not only marks the 50th anniversary of the Slash 5 series and 50 years of BMW Motorrad production in Berlin Spandau, however. Fitted as standard with heated grips, the R nineT /5 also rekindles memories of that bygone era, bringing the Slash 5 models back to life with nostalgic charm but in a contemporary form.
Painstaking details in the style of the Slash 5 models for a harmonious overall package
The anniversary model features contemporary knee pads, for example, as well as an elaborate body finish in Lupine Blue metallic with smoke effect and double line marking on the fuel tank, which bears the anniversary emblem. Chrome for the rear mirrors and exhaust manifold are likewise hark back to the historical archetype, as does the double seat contoured in the style of the Slash 5 with cross-embossing on the cover, grab straps and white piping as well as gaiters on the telescopic fork.
The coating of the engine, gearbox, fork slider tubes, wheel hubs and spokes in Aluminum Silver also stylishly evokes the legendary Slash 5 models, as do the components finished in black such as the frame and the propeller shaft casing.
Highlights of the BMW R nineT /5:
- Potent 1170cc boxer engine
- Spoke wheels with 120/70 ZR 17 and 180/55 ZR 17 tires
- 320-millimeter twin disc brake at the front
- ABS and ASC (Automatic Stability Control) as standard
- Heated grips as standard
- 2-in-1 exhaust system made of stainless steel with chrome manifolds and polished rear silencer
- Chrome mirrors
- Fuel tank with knee pads and elaborate paint finish in Lupine Blue metallic with smoke effect and double line marking
- 110 HP at 7750 rpm and 85.5 ft-lbs of torque at 6000 rpm
- Wet weight 219 kg
- 4.5-gallon fuel tank with claimed 44 MPG
- Front mudguard in Lupine Blue metallic with double line pinstriping
- Double seat with chrome decorative elements and white piping, evoking the historic predecessor
- Fork slider tubes, wheel hubs and spokes in Aluminum Silver
- Telescopic fork with gaiters
- High-end details such as fork bridges and footrests in forged, clear anodized aluminum
BMW Motorrad optional equipment and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories for wide-ranging customization. An extensive BMW Motorrad program is available to individualize the R nineT /5.
BMW Motorrad optional equipment is supplied directly ex works and integrated in the production process. Original BMW Accessories are installed by the BMW Motorrad dealer or by customers themselves. These are features which can be retrofitted, too.
Original BMW Motorrad Accessories
- Radiator trim right/left in hand-brushed aluminum
- Single seat Scrambler Urban
- Comfort passenger seat with grab straps
- Aluminum handlebar end piece
- Engine speed display
- Barrel-type instrument cluster, chrome matt
- Protective grille for headlamp (not for use on public roads)
- Windshield, hand-brushed aluminum
- Ignition lock cover in Granite Grey
- HP Carbon parts: ignition lock cover, intake snorkel cover, throttle body cover, front wheel cover, hump cover, strap cover, cylinder head cover
- HP sports silencer
- R nineT rear silencer
- Cylinder head covers in 2V style
- Cylinder head covers, chrome, black or silver
- Cylinder head cover protection, aluminum or plastic
- High End steering damper (adjustable)
- Fork bridge with integrated stub handlebars
- Tank rucksack and rear bag
- Saddle bags on passenger seat