It was a secret everybody knew about and, as expected, the announcement of BMW Motorrad’s new R nineT Scrambler has come just ahead of its debut at EICMA.
In its press release announcing the new model, BMW invoked the 1951 R 68, originally presented at the International Bicycle and Motorcycle Fair IFMA in Frankfurt, Germany. That model featured an upswept exhaust like the one on the race bike used by Georg “Schorsch” Meier.
The Scrambler sports the same engine as the R nineT Roadster – 1170cc with 110 hp at 7,750 rpm and 85.5 ft-lbs of torque at 6,000 rpm. Most of the other features of the R nineT are carried over, including that model’s modular/customizable nature.
The Scrambler has a 19-inch cast front wheel (tire 120/70-19) and a 17-inch rear (170/60-17) and ABS is standard. Another change from the Roadster is the rider ergonomics – the Scrambler is more relaxed, with higher handlebars, a lower seat, and footpegs that are down and back compared to the Roadster.
In classic BMW Motorrad style, the Scrambler is available in any color you like – as long as you like (mostly) black. Monolith metallic matte, a silver/gray, to be specific. Many of the components, such as the frame, swingarm, fork slider tubes and engine case are blacked out, giving the Scrambler a nicely aggressive look.
Highlights of the Scrambler:
- Air/oil-cooled 2-cylinder boxer engine; bore/stroke of 101/73mm for 1170cc capacity. Max rpm is 8,500.
- Customizable design with a modular frame
- Telescopic fork up front and the venerable Paralever out back
- Classic Scrambler styling with a 19-inch front wheel, an upright seating position, and a raised exhaust with upswept twin mufflers
- Aggressive, deep-treaded off-road tires available as an option (standard is street tires)
- Four-piston brake calipers with steel-wrapped brake lines and ABS standard
- Grippy toothed footpegs of bare metal
- Automatic Stability Control available as an option
- Other options include spoked wheels, heated grips, LED turn signals, a chrome-plated manifold, taller seat, lowered suspensio, solo seat, engine guard, windshield, tank and rear seat bags, knee pads, Akrapovič sport muffler (can be mounted high or low), and cylinder head covers in chrome, silver or black